What a month it has been, I am so glad that August is soon coming to a close. Right now I could use some cooler weather and even though the weather may not cool off anytime soon I do know that as the months continue to go by the cooler weather will slowly start to come.
A few nights ago our power went out and it was out for about 4 hours. The kids had a blast running around the house with flashlights. However, after about 30 minutes the warmth of the house started to get to me and I kept thinking," If my pioneer ancestors could do this then so could I." However, they did not know what air conditioning felt like and so you do not miss what you have never had. Needless to say I was missing it quite a bit and then my kids started to complain about how hot it was getting which seemed to make it get even hotter. The best part was when my hubby called me on my cell phone and after telling him about the power outage and how hot it was getting he says, "Don't we have some fans you could use?" Then he laughed as he said,"Oh, I guess that wouldn't work." It is amazing how we take our modern day luxuries for granted until we do not have then anymore.
It has not been the easiest getting back into the swing of school and homework. My kids are fighting it and that does not make me happy! I am not a big believer in homework for kids in elementary school. I think it causes more frustration and stress in young children. They are gone all day in an "educational study" setting and when they get home at the end of the day they should be able to unwind and relax instead of focusing on hours of more school work. I know that having no homework would make evenings in our house a lot more peaceful. It's just my opinion and even though my kids will never hear me voice it aloud, I believe homework for elementary children is worthless and serves NO purpose!
Kevan has been working some very long days. There are lots of changes going on at Coca-Cola and they have Atlanta "Big Shots" coming for visits and meetings and of course the Labor Day ad will be starting soon. He has been working 12 to 13 hour days for almost the entire month. The kids and I miss him! He also started another block of classes for school and when he does get home if it is not too late he shuts himself in with the computer to do his assignments. I can tell he is just exhausted and that he wants to give into sleep but, he is so good about doing all that he needs to do and he gets it done. I really did get lucky to marry a guy who is so good at working hard!
The air conditioner went out in the truck about 2 weeks ago so we decided that it was time to trade it in and get another car. We ended up buying a 2009 Chevy Cobalt. The color (cherry red) was not one I would of chosen if I had been given a choice. I can live with it though. However, it is nice to have a car that has a/c again. We will have to have the windows tinted but that is easy enough to fix. When you live in the desert a/c in a car is the only way to go!
Oh, and then today I got a jury summons! I have been summoned practically ever year and even though I have never had to serve I always get called, never my husband! Why is this? So now in October I have to remember to call and see if I have to appear. I SO do not want to have to do this again!!!!!!
So with all that has gone on this month I just will be glad to have it over. Each new month brings hope that it will be better then the last.