Friday, September 10, 2010

I remember when my kids were very little how I looked forward to hearing them wake up and start their days of exploring, learning, playing and though I would be tired throughout the day because my little girl use to get me up every night I would still find so much thrill and enjoyment in watching them grow and discover their world. I don't think I ever thought about the day they would become old enough to go off to school until it became a reality. As I wait for my kids everyday to meet me after school I watch the little Kindergartners come out the doors to meet their mom's and dad's and I remember how little mine once were and how excited I was to see their little faces as they told me about everything they did that day. I still get that little thrill when I see my two kiddos walk around the corner to greet me. However, now there are no hugs because at their age it just isn't cool to hug your mom in public and I get that! I also now have to pry information out of them about how their day was or I get the standard answer of "fine" or "good". I remember my dad saying to me once after their nest had been empty for a few years that he missed us kids being little and running around and making noise. He said it went by too quick. My kids aren't even teenagers yet and I already miss the "little". Don't get me wrong I love the ages they are now and the independence that they are acquiring but, with each year that goes by I become more aware of how grown up they are becoming.

Tonight Keaton went of his first overnight Scout trip. Kevan was able to go with him and to be honest if he hadn't been able to go, I don't believe I would of sent Keaton. Yes, I am an overprotective mother but, that is my right so I have no trouble claiming it. Here it is almost midnight and I am up wondering if he is warm enough or if he is having a good time. I know he is safe because his dad is there with him but, I really don't like not being able to go into his room and check on him once he has fallen asleep. How and I going to handle Scout Camp next summer for an entire week?

It is so extremely hard to let go and yet I know that little by little every year more of the "apron strings" get cut and he grows closer and closer to leaving the nest altogether and Bailey Rose is only two years behind him. I honestly don't know how my mom did it five times over! I have never liked changed! Yet, I never thought watching these little ones grow up would be one of the hardest changes that would affect me the most. I know I have more then a few years before they leave the nest but, I know the reality of how quickly those years will pass. I am excited for all they have yet to experience in life but, I think I will always miss them being little!